[INDOLOGY] The Raj

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 08:04:17 UTC 2017

Without the slightest intention to defend the Raj, I think that some
familiarity with the Chinese occupation of Tibet would convince you that
your comparison is not a propos. I do not intend to catalog the
differences, but would ask you in the very first place to familiarize
yourself with Chinese policy toward the Tibetan language, and to compare
that with the Raj's attitude toward Indian languages. (I leave it to you to
make further comparisons to prison camps, extra-judicial executions,
wholesale destruction of sacred and cultural sites, etc etc etc).

Jonathan Silk

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 6:54 AM, Nagaraj Paturi via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Similar to China 'liberated' Tibet and made it 'prosperous' and so on.
>
> Naive writing written under the delusion of contesting professional work
> on the subject.
>
> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 12:46 AM, Howard Resnick via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
>> Interesting article.
>> Howard
>>
>> https://thewire.in/118218/personal-rejoinder-british-raj-haters-masque
>> rading-historians/
>> <https://thewire.in/118218/personal-rejoinder-british-raj-haters-masquerading-historians/>
>>
>> A Personal Rejoinder to British Raj-Haters Masquerading as Historians
>> BY ZAREER MASANI
>>
>> From liberal laws to educational institutions to infrastructure, the
>> British Raj contributed a lot to India.

> --
> Nagaraj Paturi
>
> Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.
>
> Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies
>
> FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,
>
> (Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

copies of my publications may be found at
http://www.buddhismandsocialjustice.com/silk_publications.html