Re: [INDOLOGY] BhP 10.333.31 and the Bhāgavata Purāṇa's date

Suresh Kolichala suresh.kolichala at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 18:47:44 UTC 2017

Palaniappan,

Swami Prabhupāda's explanation of the word *īśvara *as 'Lord’s empowered
servants' is pretty dubious here. 10.33.31 should be seen in the context of
the original question (10.33.26-27) on how *īśvara, *the Lord of the
Universe -- who is the the original speaker, the executor, and the
protector of the laws -- could violate the same laws/rules.

SB 10.33.29:
*śrī-śuka uvāca*
*dharma-vyatikramo dṛṣṭa*
* īśvarāṇāṁ ca sāhasam*
*tejīyasāṁ na doṣāya*
* vahneḥ sarva-bhujo yathā*

The answer is that  the status of *īśvara* is not harmed by any apparently
audacious transgression of morality we may see in them, for they are just
like fire, which devours everything fed into it and remains unpolluted
(10.33.29).

SB 10.33.31
īśvarāṇāṁ vacaḥ satyaṁ
tathaivācaritaṁ kvacit
teṣāṁ yat sva-vaco-yuktaṁ
buddhimāṁs tat samācaret

The statements of the Lord are always true, and the acts they perform are
exemplary when consistent with those statements. Therefore one who is
intelligent should carry out those instructions.

There is no reason to doubt that īśvarāṇāṁ in 10.33.31 in any way refers
to devotee or a servant of the Lord, and cannot make a case of any
relationship with the Tamil *āḷvār/āḻvār *variation.

Regards,
Suresh.