Re: [INDOLOGY] Malaipaṭukaṭām102

Tieken, H.J.H. H.J.H.Tieken at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Wed Mar 8 09:01:03 UTC 2017

Dear Palaniappan,

1
As to my first question, I really want to know if there is an article or any other type of information available on the doubling or absence of doubling in compounds like vitai (verb stem) + puṉam (noun) in Caṅkam poetry (modern written Tamil, which you quote, is another matter).

2
Have you any idea what itai would mean in itaippuṉam?

3
As a matter of principle I do not trust traditional dictionaries and commentaries. Calling in these sources is not a very strong argument; see in this connection my article in the word cāru in Sasha Dubianski's Festschrift' (pdf on my website) or my article on the weaver bird in a Kuṟuntokai poem.

4
The meaning in the traditional sources for (v)itaippuṉam, "a newly cultivated field", seems to me an attempt to translate "a sown field" while avoiding the word "to sow".

5
As to the reading itaippuṉam in Akanāṉūru 394, I am waiting for a critical edition of this anthology. Not that I expect much of that, as the manuscript tradition of Caṅkam texts seems to be recent and is strikingly uniform.

Kind regards, Herman

Herman Tieken
Stationsweg 58
2515 BP Den Haag