[INDOLOGY] pravesha

michael baltutis indresvara at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 4 16:16:01 UTC 2017

Greetings All,

I’ve been thinking about the many uses of the Skt. term pravesha (entrance) throughoutSouth Asian textual and performative traditions: Vedic rituals, possessionevents, royal festivals, etc. I haven’t found much that has been written onthis term specifically, and I’m wondering what happens if we treat it as a “criticalterm” in South Asian religions like bhakti,karma, dharma, etc.

I would be most appreciative for any primary or secondarysources on pravesha and/or any otherexamples where this term – or allied terms (pratishta)– occur. Many thanks in advance, and apologies for cross-posting.

Best,Michael
-- Michael Baltutis
Associate Professor, South Asian Religions
Department of Religious Studies & Anthropology
University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh

Book Review Editor
International Journal of Hindu Studies