[INDOLOGY] Query

Anna Martin anna.martin at uni-marburg.de
Thu Mar 2 14:41:53 UTC 2017

Several versions of the legend exist in New Persian also, named
"Belawhar va Būdāsaf" or "Blawhar wa Būzasf", see e.g. the entry in the
Encyclopaedia Iranica (which does not include later versions in New
Persian, however)

http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/barlaam-and-iosaph-persian-belawhar-o-budasaf-a-greek-christian-or-christianized-novel-of-buddhist-origins-which-througho

Maybe the entry by D. M. Lang in the Encyclopaedia of Islam could also
be helpful:

Lang, D.M., “Bilawhar Wa-Yūdāsaf”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, Second
Edition, Edited by: P. Bearman, Th. Bianquis, C.E. Bosworth, E. van
Donzel, W.P. Heinrichs.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1573-3912_islam_COM_0120

The Blawhar wa Būzasf by ´Alī Ibn Muḥammad Niẓām Tabrīzī (14th century)
was printed by Mirath-i Maktub, Tehran 2002.

Best,
Anna Martin

Am 01.03.2017 um 14:37 schrieb Olivelle, J P via INDOLOGY:
> A student who is not on the list has posed this question, and I do not
> have clear answers. If any of you has some information, he would be very
> grateful. Here is the query:
>
>     I am currently writing a senior thesis under Sheldon Pollock on the
>     Byzantine text /Barlaam and Iōasaph/ and its Sanskrit analogues,
>     specifically the /Buddhacarita/. It is important to my argument to
>     demonstrate that the /Buddhacarita /was likely to have influenced a
>     lost version of the Buddha legend which made its way into Arabic
>     through a Middle Persian intermediary in the eighth century. My best
>     evidence for the /Buddhacarita/'s widespread popularity so far are
>     the fragments of Aśvaghoṣa at Turfan and a reference to Aśvaghoṣa in
>     Ratnaśrījñāna's commentary on Daṇḍin's /Kāvyalakṣaṇa./ My question
>     for you is whether you are aware of any textual references to
>     the /Buddhacarita/ that might bolster this argument.
>

> With thanks,
>

> Patrick

Dr. des. Anna Martin
Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin
Philipps-Universität Marburg
Centrum für Nah- und Mittelost-Studien (CNMS) - Iranistik
Deutschhausstr. 12
35032 Marburg
Germany

Tel.:  +49 (0)6421 28 22184