Re: [INDOLOGY] A disease called jāpyatā?

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 01:57:35 UTC 2017

The word jaapyam is used in the sense of delay, lethargy etc.

S'ani , also called as manda = the slow one, is believed to cause slowness
through his astrological effects.

*śanidṛṣṭau tu jāpyatā *is matching with that understanding.

But *jāpyatā nāma kutsito roga *is intriguing.

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 10:42 PM, Martin Gansten via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> I once again turn to the vaidyavids on this list in hope of enlightenment.
> Balabhadra in his 17th-century *Hāyanaratna* writes of an astrological
> configuration:
>
> *atra tejaḥsiṃhena samarasiṃhena ca śanidṛṣṭiṃ vinā rūkṣādirogāḥ proktāḥ |
> śanidṛṣṭau tu jāpyatā nāma kutsito roga uktaḥ | *
>
> 'On this [matter], Tejaḥsiṃha and Samarasiṃha state that [even] without
> the aspect of Saturn, there are diseases such as dryness, but if Saturn
> aspects, there is said to be the vile disease called *jāpyatā*.'
>
> Does anyone know what condition this might be? I have so far found only
> one other occurrence of *jāpyatā*, in Varāhamihira's *Yogayātrā* (10.57),
> which is not very illuminating:
>
> *dakṣiṇe śubham atīva śobhanaṃ pāpam apy ativirūpam anyataḥ |*
> *jāpyatā bhavati tadviparyaye vistaro 'nyamunibhiḥ prakīrtitaḥ ||*
>
> The alternative word division *jāpyatānām akutsito *seems likewise
> unpromising.
>
> Martin Gansten

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.