[INDOLOGY] MR Kale biodata

Jesse Knutson jknutson at hawaii.edu
Thu Jun 29 04:41:13 UTC 2017

Thanks Ashok-mahodaya, Sorry I missed your post before. Maybe when one of
the Marathi-speakers among us next goes to Bombay they could make a few
inquiries on behalf of our community. Best,J

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Ashok Aklujkar via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> > On Jun 27, 2017, at 2:11 AM, Jesse Knutson via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
> >
> >> MR Kale effectively changed my life. I have to get to know about him.
> Perhaps if we hit a dead-end, I’ll one day go to the U of Bombay Skt
> department and ask some of the senior faculty about him.<
>
> Given that M.R. Kale had only a BA degree to his credit and was not
> engaged in original historical research, it is unlikely that he taught at a
> university; he is more likely to have been a high school or college teacher.
>
> Many of the first editions of his works came from the publishing house of
> Keshav Bhikaji Dhawale (केशव भिकाजी ढवळे). The house still exists in
> Shree/Shri Samantha Sadan, Girgaon, Mumbai 400,004 (more details can
> probably be had by googling and by using Facebook). I visited it a couple
> of years ago. Nowadays it concentrates on publishing devotional/religious
> Marathi literature. Its old records may contain leads to the life of M.R.
> Kale. The current owner may also know where the descendants of Kale at
> present live.
>
> a.a.

Jesse Ross Knutson PhD
Assistant Professor of Sanskrit and Bengali, Department of Indo-Pacific
Languages and Literatures
University of Hawai'i at Mānoa
461 Spalding