[INDOLOGY] Trisvabhāvanirdeśa

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 18:52:15 UTC 2017

Dear Matthew and all,

You were not asking about English translations of the *Trisvabhāvanirdeśa*,
but I will nonetheless list the eight that I know of, in case you or anyone
else knows of any other one(s). Also, regarding Sanskrit editions of the
*Trisvabhāva-nirdeśa*, I have never been able to obtain the first one ever
published, edited by Susumu Yamaguchi. It is said to be in Shūkyō Kenkyū,
volume 8, March-May 1931, pp. 121-130, 186-207. One of the few complete
sets of this journal found in the U.S.A. is at the University of Wisconsin
library. I have checked this volume in person on two or three different
occasions, and did not find it there. I do not know what I am doing wrong
(I do not know any Japanese). I do have Yamaguchi's revised 1972 edition,
but would still like to get his original 1931 edition.

    1. Mukhopadhyaya, Sujitkumar. *The Trisvabhāvanirdeśa of Vasubandhu:
Sanskrit Text and Tibetan Versions, edited with an English Translation,
Introduction, and Vocabularies*. Visvabharati Series, no. 4. Calcutta:
Visvabharati, 1939. (incl. Skt.; incl. two Tib.).

    2. Kochumuttom, Thomas A. In *A Buddhist Doctrine of Experience: A New
Translation and Interpretation of the Works of Vasubandhu the Yogācārin*,
Chapter Three: “A Treatise on the Three Natures,” pp. 90-126 (spread out),
and Appendix II, pp. 247-253 (altogether). Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 1982.

    3. Tola, Fernando, and Carmen Dragonetti. “The Trisvabhāvakārikā of
Vasubandhu.” *Journal of Indian Philosophy*, vol. 11, 1983, pp. 225-266.
Revised reprint in *Being as Consciousness: Yogācāra Philosophy of Buddhism*,
Part III, pp. 187-244 (“completely revised, corrected and augmented
version,” p. 192). Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 2004. (incl. Skt.).

    4. Anacker, Stefan. In *Seven Works of Vasubandhu: The Buddhist
Psychological Doctor*, “The Teaching of the Three Own-Beings,” pp. 287-297.
Religions of Asia Series, no. 4. Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 1984.
Corrected edition, 2002. Revised edition, 2005 (the pagination is
unchanged). (incl. Skt., pp. 464-466).

    5. Wood, Thomas E. In *Mind Only: A Philosophical and Doctrinal
Analysis of the Vijñānavāda*, “Tri-svabhāva-nirdeśa,” pp. 31-47. Monographs
of the Society for Asian and Comparative Philosophy, no. 9. Honolulu:
University of Hawaii Press, 1991. (incl. Skt.).

    6. Garfield, Jay L. “Vasubandhu’s *Treatise on the Three Natures*
translated from the Tibetan edition with a commentary.” *Asian Philosophy*,
vol. 7, no. 2, 1997, pp. 133-154. Reprint in *Empty Words: Buddhist
Philosophy and Cross-Cultural Interpretation*, chap. 7, pp. 128-151, notes
on pp. 275-277. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 2002. Reprint
in *Buddhist Philosophy: Essential Readings*, ed. William Edelglass and Jay
L. Garfield, chap. 3, pp. 35-45. Oxford and New York: Oxford University
Press, 2009.

    7. Brunnhölzl, Karl. In *Straight from the Heart: Buddhist Pith
Instructions*, “Instruction on the Three Natures,” pp. 43-53. Ithaca, N.Y.:
Snow Lion Publications, 2007.

    8. Gold, Jonathan C. In *Paving the Great Way: Vasubandhu’s Unifying
Buddhist Philosophy*, Appendix G: “The Three Natures Exposition,” pp.
244-248. New York: Columbia University Press, 2015.

Best regards,

David Reigle

Colorado, U.S.A.