[INDOLOGY] Conf: "Women and Power in Indian Tradition: Royalty, Renunciation, and Matriliny, " Sept. 16, Dallas, TX

Lindquist, Steven slindqui at mail.smu.edu
Wed Jun 21 22:11:01 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Please pardon x-posting.

Asian Studies at SMU and the South Asia Research and Information Institute, Dallas, are pleased to announce our Annual South Asia Conference for 2017.  The event is free and open to the public. For information on Dallas, accommodations, etc., please feel free to contact me off-list.

Cheers,

Steven

STEVEN LINDQUIST, PH.D.
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR, RELIGIOUS STUDIES
DIRECTOR, ASIAN STUDIES
____________________

Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences, SMU
PO Box 750202 | Dallas | TX | 75275-0202
Email: slindqui at smu.edu<mailto:slindqui at smu.edu>
Web: http://faculty.smu.edu/slindqui

Asian Studies at SMU and the South Asia Research and Information Institute, Dallas, present a day-long conference:

Women and Power in Indian Tradition: Royalty, Renunciation, and Matriliny
Saturday, Sept. 16th, 9am-5pm
McCord Auditorium, SMU Campus

Presentations include:

The Queen, the Dasi, and Sexual Politics in the Sabhaparvan of the Mahabharata
Uma Chakravarti, Ph.D.
Delhi University (Emerita)

Ruby of the Dynasty: Chola Queen Sembiyan Mahadevi
Vidya Dehejia, Ph.D.
Columbia University

Women and Truth Speech: The Classical Saint Karaikkal Ammaiyar Then and Now
Karen Pechilis, Ph.D.
Drew University

Women, Matriliny, and Literacy in Kerala
Donald R. Davis, Jr. Ph.D.
The University of Texas at Austin

The Power a Woman's Story Creates: Stories, Lives, and Female Renunciation in India
Antoinette DeNapoli, Ph.D.
Texas Christian University

Chair:
Steven Lindquist, Ph.D.