[INDOLOGY] Andhra toponymy

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 17 17:00:36 UTC 2017

Thanks Dominik and Nagaraj.

Yes, for course Tk. was (my own abbreviation) for Taluk. I am supposing Tuni is nowadays a 'mandal', although I haven't confirmed this yet.

Nagaraj: short of being able to travel to Tuni taluk/mandal to ask local people, how would one find out what "Ch." stands for in this case? And what cultural practice lies behind abbreviating the identifying part of toponym?

Best,

Arlo Griffiths

[https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/A_bridge_over_Kolleru.jpg/250px-A_bridge_over_Kolleru.jpg]<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolleru_Lake>

Kolleru Lake - Wikipedia<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolleru_Lake>
en.wikipedia.org
Kolleru Lake is one of the largest freshwater lakes in India located in state of Andhra Pradesh 15 kilometers away from the city of Eluru. Kolleru is located between ...