[INDOLOGY] Andhra toponymy

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 15 12:33:03 UTC 2017

Colleagues,

I am looking to identify the modern coordinates of an epigraphic find spot in Andhra Pradesh for which data from colonial times indicate "Chikula agrahāra, East Godavari, Tuni Tk.". Searchuing with the name Chikulla or Chikulla I don't find anything. But within Tuni (mandal?) I have found a "Ch. Agraharam" (https://villageinfo.in/andhra-pradesh/east-godavari/tuni/ch-agraharam.html). This, I presume, must be my place.

Is it common in AP nowadays not to spell out the name of agraharams? (It reminds me of the Telugu naming pattern with a first initial which is never spelt in full — although perhaps there is no connection.)

Best wishes,

Arlo