[INDOLOGY] My Sanskrit rendering of Goethe's poem on Shakuntala

Antonia Ruppel rhododaktylos at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 13:20:51 UTC 2017

Dear Madhav,

As someone who has long loved Goethe's poem, let me say: thank you! This is
beautiful. -- And just in case anyone ever asks about its source: it took
me a while to find it, but it comes from a letter to F. H. Jacobi dated
July 1, 1791, thus quoted in the Jubiläumsausgabe von Goethes Werken,
I.258. (Apologies if you already knew that.)

Thanks again and all best,
    Antonia

indology at list.indology.info>:

> Going through old papers, I found my Sanskrit rendering of Goethe's German
> poem on Shakuntala.  This was done sometime during my Fergusson College
> days in Pune.
>
> *GOETHE’S POEM ON SHAKUNTALA*
>

> Willst du die Blüthe des frühen, die Früchte des späteren Jahres,
>
> Willst du, was reizt und entzückt, willst du was sättigt und nährt,
>
> Willst du den Himmel, die Erde, mit Einem Namen begreifen;
>
> Nenn’ ich, Sakuntala, Dich, und so ist Alles gesagt.
>

> *English Translation*
>
> Wouldst thou the young year's blossoms and the fruits of its decline
>
> And all by which the soul is charmed, enraptured, feasted, fed,
>
> Wouldst thou the earth and heaven itself in one sole name combine?
>
> I name thee, O Sakuntala! and all at once is said.
>
> —*translation by Edward Backhouse Eastwick*
>

> *संस्कृतानुवाद**:*
>
> स्पृहयसि वसन्तकुसुमेभ्यो यदि
>
> ग्रीष्मे यदि फलराशीनिच्छसि ।
>
> कान्तं पुष्टिकरं तुष्टिकरम्