[INDOLOGY] A new Sanskrit Reader

George Thompson gthomgt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 21:02:39 UTC 2017

Dear List,

I think that Hans has been a little hard on Lanman.  He begins his reader
with easy epic passages like the Nala story,  and passages from the
Hitopadesa.  I agree with Patrick. A beginning reader should not attempt to
introduce students to all sorts of Sanskrit genres all at once.  When I was
a student at UC Berkeley some 35 years ago, the first text that we were
asked to read on our own was the Bhagavad Gita: we [Vedicists, at
least] called it baby Sanskrit.

Fortunately, we now have Gary Tubbs' introduction to "Scholastic Sanskrit:
A Manual for Students" that teaches students how to read Sanskrit
commentaries.

I look forward to Seeing Antonia's new Sanskrit Reader.

George Thompson