[INDOLOGY] A new Sanskrit Reader (Antonia Ruppel)

Herman Tull hermantull at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 17:20:25 UTC 2017

Dear Antonia (and the list),

Well, only slightly tongue in cheek, I would make a plea for Nala. It is
the text that connects so many of us who study Sanskrit outside India.
I've recently written a short history of this (Tull. 2015. "Whence
Sanskrit? A Brief History of Sanskrit Pedagogy in the West." International
Journal of Hindu Studies 19, 1–2: 213–256).

Here is the introduction...a bit of revealing history!

[image: Inline image 2]

Since the inception of teaching Sanskrit in the West, there is hardly a
student of the language who has not encountered (if not committed to
memory) these words from the Nala episode (Mahåbhårata 3.50–78). While this
excerpt is most often encountered in Charles Rockwell Lanman’s A Sanskrit
Reader, first published in 1884, but still widely in use, Nala as a
Sanskrit student’s first text hearkens back to the work of Franz Bopp, one
of the first Europeans to study Sanskrit outside India. In 1819, Bopp
published the Nala story in Sanskrit with an accompanying Latin translation
and notes (also in Latin) in what was the first Sanskrit “reader” to appear
in the West, Nalus, Carmen Sanscritum e Mahàbhàrato. Bopp’s Nalus remained
one of the standard first texts for Sanskrit students for more than a
half-century (Whitney 1869: 339) and established a strong precedent for
using the Nala story as a beginner’s text; indeed the story recurs in
virtually every Sanskrit reader published in the nineteenth century: Otto
von Böhtlingk (1845), Monier Monier-Williams (1860), Georg Bühler (1877),
Adolf Friedich Stenzler (1885), and most importantly, in Charles Rockwell
Lanman’s Reader. (Lanman’s version of Nala followed Bühler’s version
[Lanman 1884: v].)

Of course, it may be time to move on, also!

best,

Herman Tull