[INDOLOGY] Pippalagrama of the Nikumbha king?

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 18:14:03 UTC 2017

Thank you, Ashok. Yes, I am familiar with this use of eka -- in fact,
another author I am working on (Tejaḥsiṃha) is partial to it, using
expressions like sadguṇaughaikapātram and saukhyaikapātram. The example
you mention is perhaps from this verse used by Śrīvaiṣṇavas?

yo nityam acyutapadāmbujayugmarukmavyāmohatas taditarāṇi tṛṇāya mene |
asmadguror bhagavato 'sya dayaikasindho rāmānujasya caraṇau śaraṇaṃ
prapadye ||

But to return to Tuka Jyotirvid, regardless of whether we translate his
phrase literally as 'one' or as 'peerless' etc., I do get the feeling
that he had a particular Nikumbha ruler in mind. I thought that perhaps
there might be someone associated with the founding of one or more
settlements, possibly in Maharashtra.

Martin