Re: [INDOLOGY] {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} Re: Question

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 18:28:05 UTC 2017

Ballaleshwar (Ganapati), one of the Ashta Vinayak, is located at Pali,
Raigadh , 121 km from Pune ,93.6 km from Mumbai.

Nashik to Pali Ganapati , Ballaleshwar is 104 km.

Though Nashik to Kolhapur is 450 km, to have Kolhapur Mahalakshmi as
Kuladevata (=family deity) , usually distance does not count.

On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 9:11 PM, Anand Hudli <ahudli at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Prof. Deshpande,
>
> It appears the dedication statement, श्रीमहालक्ष्मीबल्लाळेश्वरार्पणमस्तु
> indicates that the Kuladevatas of the author could have been the popular
> deities of Mahalakshmi of Kolhapur and Ballaleshwar (Ganapati). As you
> might very well know, families in Maharashtra and Northern Karnataka
> usually have two deities as Kuladevata - one male and one female. Khandoba
> is perhaps the most popular Kuladevata, but other deities enjoy their fair
> share of Kuladevata worship too.
>
> Regards,
>
> Anand
>

> On Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 7:09:59 PM UTC+5:30, Madhav Deshpande wrote:
>
>> Dear Colleagues,
>>
>>      I am working on a critical edition and translation of an 18th/19th
>> century text वेदविचार ascribed to someone named शामशास्त्री द्रविड
>> द्विवेदी.  The text discusses disputes among the Vedic Śākhās and Brahmin
>> communities mostly in the region of Maharashtra and attempts to provide
>> arguments to resolve them.  We know practically nothing about the author.
>> The colophon at the end of the text offers salutations to Tryambakeśvara
>> and the author says he was inspired by Śrī Rāma, which makes me suspect
>> that the author is a resident of the region of Nasik.  The very last line
>> refers to Mahālakṣmī-Ballāḷeśvara.  Is anyone familiar with this region and
>> aware of a temple to these deities?  Here are the final verses of the text:
>>
>>                 अज्ञानादथवा ज्ञानाद् ग्रन्थेऽस्मिन्यदुदीरितम् ।
>>
>>               तत्सर्वं करुणासिन्धुः क्षम्यतां त्र्यम्बकेश्वरः ॥१॥
>>
>>               अन्तःकरणतद्वृत्तिसाक्षिणा परमात्मना ।
>>
>>               श्रीरामेण प्रेरितोऽहमकार्षं वाक्यसंग्रहम् ॥२॥
>>
>>               तत्सर्वं कृपया विप्राः पण्डिता दीनवत्सलाः ।
>>
>>               विचार्य संशोधयन्तु विप्रस्पर्धानिवृत्तये ॥३॥
>>
>> इति श्रीमद्द्विवेदिद्रविडशामशास्त्रिविरचितं वेदविचारप्रकरणं
>> संपूर्णतामगमत् । तेन परमात्मा श्रीरामः सुप्रसन्नो वरदो भवतु ।
>> श्रीमहालक्ष्मीबल्लाळेश्वरार्पणमस्तु ।
>> Any suggestions are appreciated.
>>
>> Madhav Deshpande
>> Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
>>
> --

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra

BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )