[INDOLOGY] The pre-natal/pre-incarnatory curse in Indian literature (Sivan Goren Arzony)

Sivan Goren sivangoren at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 07:59:25 UTC 2017

Dear James and other list members

This is indeed a fascinating subject!

I am working on a Maṇipravāl̥am campū from medieval Kerala (roughly
14th century), called the Uṇṇiyāṭīcaritam. The heroine of this poem is
a dancer called Uṇṇiyāṭī, who was born on earth as a consequence of a
curse that Rohiṇī cast on an apsaras called Prāvr̥ṭ. This Prāvr̥ṭ had
a love affair with the moon, which got Rohiṇī quite angry..

I think that as a sub-category, apsarases tend to get cursed often.

Another interesting case from Andhra is brought by Velcheru Narayana
Rao in his article 'Purana as Brahminic Ideology" (a chapter in Wendy
Doniger's 1993 "Purana Perennis").

I would love to see any comparative work, when one materializes.

All the best,

Sivan Goren Arzony
PhD student
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem