[INDOLOGY] Dates of Shāh Shujāʿ

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 06:56:27 UTC 2017

I am trying to establish some dates in the life of Shāh Shujāʿ, second
son of Shāh Jahān -- in particular, his precise date of birth and the
year in which he became governor (subahdār) of Bengal. For the former,
the dates given typically given vary between 21 and 23 June, 1616 CE,
but I am not clear whether this is in the Julian or the Gregorian
calendar. For the latter, I have seen a range of years around 1640 CE.

Shāh Shujāʿ was the patron of the astrologer Balabhadra, who gives the
Shāh's date of birth as śrāvaṇa-kṛṣṇa-tṛtīyā, saṃvat 1673/śaka 1538, a
Saturday, in Ajameru (Ajmer). Using *pūrṇimānta* months, this
corresponds to a *Julian* date of 22 June, 1616 CE (= 2 July in the
Gregorian calendar). But if this is the correct date, then Balabhadra
may have been working from an erroneous one: his discussion of Shāh
Shujāʿ's annual horoscope indicates a longitude of the sun in the
nativity some 15 degrees too great, suggesting that Balabhadra took the
month to be amānta (and indeed, he demonstrably uses the amānta system
elsewhere).

Any sort of rock in this morass would be greatly appreciated!

Martin Gansten