[INDOLOGY] Basílica do Bom Jesus in Konkani and Hindi

Artur Karp karp at uw.edu.pl
Tue Jan 31 09:15:56 UTC 2017

Dear List,

I am involved in the preparation of the supplement to the *Official List of
Polish Geographical Names of the World *- already published in 2005, by the
Head Office of Geodesy and Cartography (Główny Urząd Geodezji i
Kartografii), Warsaw, Poland -  and accessible at:

https://www.academia.edu/9062314/Azja_Po%C5%82udniowa_Artur_
Karp_ed._Nazewnictwo_geograficzne_%C5%9Awiata_Zeszyt_4_G%C5%
82%C3%B3wny_Urz%C4%85d_Geodezji_i_Kartografii_Warszawa_2005

The supplement  - planned to be published as the *Official List of Polish
Names of Historical Monuments and Buildings of the World *- is  to
include formal names of selected important South Asian historical
buildings/monuments; a provisional, not yet completed list, is accessible
at:

https://www.academia.edu/23167699/Nazwy_budowli_-_Azja_Po%C5
%82udniowa_Names_of_buildings_and_other_architectural_monume
nts_in_South_Asia_

Usually, I do not have problems in locating the formal, official names of
geographical objects in India.

The *Basílica do Bom Jesus*, however,  eludes me. What I come across is *Borea
Jezuchi Bajilika, *as at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_Bom_Jesus

Since the presumably Konkani name is already a transliteration, it cannot
 serve as the basis for precise transliteration and the Polish
transcription.

What I need are VERY FORMAL names of the Basilica - both in *Hindi* and
*Konkani *- such as those formally used and published in the Indian
Catholic Church sources.

If you would give me the names as they are written in Devanagari, I could
easily transliterate them - using myself the ISO 15919 rules of
Romanization.

Thank you in advance for your kind help,

Artur Karp (ret.)
South Asian Studies Dept.
University of Warsaw
Poland