[INDOLOGY] Discussing Academia.edu

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 26 20:47:23 UTC 2017

Dear friends,

I have kept using academia for the while, for the good reasons you have all mentioned.
However, I notice an ominous trend whereby academia is now announcing a range of
searches and services to which one will not have access without buying into a "premium" account.
This will mean in the long term that those of us who upload our work to academia will
serve in large measure as the drawing point for what will increasingly be a paid service,
in which those not purchasing "premium" will have minimal service while academia profits
from their work.

best to all,
Matthew

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études,
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago