[INDOLOGY] Mahabharata, on a yoni tirtha.

Paolo Eugenio Rosati paoloe.rosati at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 12:12:05 UTC 2017

Dear list,

I was reading the Van Buitenen trans. of Mahabharata, particularly this
passage:

…One should then [after Gṛdhravaṭa] go to Mount Udyanta, which is noisy
with song […] There too is the famous Gate-of-the-Womb: by approaching it a
man is freed from any miscegenation.  If one dwells for both the dark and
the light at Gayā, he doubtlessly purifies his lineage to seven
generations. Many sons should be wished for, if one goes to Gayā alone, or
sacrifices with the Horses Sacrifice, or sets free a dark bull. (3.82.80-85)

I was wondering regarding the interpretation of these verses and
particularly of "miscegenation".
Someone may advice me any idea?

Best, Paolo

--