Re: [INDOLOGY] textual source for nirvāṇa-mastaka

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 01:09:18 UTC 2017

Dear Madhav and Tim,

Thank you Madhav for your good suggestion about Atharvaśiras and
Atharvaśīrṣa. Thank you Tim for your qualifying comments about this idea.
Even after considering it for a couple of days, I am still not clear about
it.

I understand the *Vācaspatyam*'s definition of nirvāṇa-mastaka, nirvāṇam
nirvṛtir mastakam iva yatra, as saying that this nirvāṇa is like the head.
Whereas, in the second verse you quoted, Tim, the construal is atharvaṇaḥ
śiro, the head of atharvan. But we cannot say for nirvāṇa-mastaka, the head
of nirvāṇa. Is this the point?

In any case, until we can find a textual source for nirvāṇa-mastaka, we do
not know how or in what context it is used.

Best regards,

David Reigle
Colorado, U.S.A.