Re: [INDOLOGY] {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} Re: a question regarding the usage of -gotra versus -sagotra

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Tue Jan 3 14:33:59 UTC 2017

To add more of a grammatical note, a term like viśvāmitra-gotra in Sanskrit
can have two possible meanings: a) the gotra of viśvāmitra (a Tatpuruṣa
compound), and b) one whose gotra is viśvāmitra (a Bahuvrīhi compound).  On
the other hand, the term viśvāmitra-sagotra is more clear in having only
one meaning: "one who has the same gotra as viśvāmitra."  This may be the
reason why the passages quoted by Professor Korada prescribe the use of
-sagotra expression.  In my family rituals, the declaration included
something like aham bhāradvāja-gotrotpannaḥ ... "I, born in the
bhāradvāja-gotra."  In this usage, the term bhāradvāja-gotra is used just
to refer to the gotra of bhāradvāja, and not in the sense of "one with the
bhāradvāja-gotra."   I don't remember the usage of bhāradvāja-sagotra in my
family.  In any case, thanks for all the suggestions, and I have
communicated these to my friend, who posed the original question to me.

Madhav Deshpande
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA