[INDOLOGY] Kept women?

Walter Slaje slaje at kabelmail.de
Mon Feb 13 16:56:15 UTC 2017

Dear Martin,

this sounds like a variant expression for avaruddhā (strī) / avaruddhastrī.
The latter is explained in Olivelle's Dictionary (2015) as a "mistress or
concubine in the exclusive keeping of one individual until his death".
Avaruddhā is an old and quite common term for women kept in a harem
(avarodha), testified as orodhā also in Pāli texts. Closest to your
"dhṛtastrī" seems to come "dhṛtā" ("a concubine"). Evidence to be found in
Jaina texts: B. J. Sandesara, Lexicographical Studies in „Jaina
Sanskrit“. *Journal
of the Oriental Institute Baroda* 9.4 (1960): 60.
A cheerful read: David Smith, „One man and many women: some notes on the
harem in mainly ancient and medieval India from sundry perspectives.“
In: *Cracow
Indological Studies* 14 (2012), S. 1-16.

Best wishes,
Walter