[INDOLOGY] Devipurana (2)

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be
Thu Feb 9 13:19:04 UTC 2017

Hazra's Studies in the Upapurāṇas vol. 2 (1963) deals extensively with the DeviiP pp. 46-239. He refers to the Bengali characters (Vangavasi Press) ed. as the only one existing at that time.
The v. 6b of ch. 39 is given p. 63 fn. 127 as:
> yajed bhaumaatmajo devii.m kaamaakhye girikandare
The presentation of the chap. 39 at the same page says:
"Names of holy places in which Devii was worshipped in her different forms by different gods, sages and kinds (including Jaamadagnya, Bhauma's son, Vibhii.sa.na and Raajasena) viz., [...] Ki.skindhyaa-parvata [...]"
I do not see in his detailed description (nor in the following one of the KaalikaaP) reference to such a list of 64 devii-pii.thas.
Hope it may help,
Best wishes,
Christophe

Le 7 févr. 2017 à 14:16, Paolo Eugenio Rosati via INDOLOGY <indology at list.indology.info> a écrit :

> Dear list,
>
> I am looking for a couple of references from the Devipurana.
>
> I found---throughout secundary literature---some references that probably derived from this edition:
>
> Devīpurāṇa, ed. with a Bengali translation by Pancanana Tarkaratna. Calcutta, 1928.
>
> while I have got (thanks to the list!) this edition:
> Devīpurāṇa. Kumar, Sharma P. (ed.) 1976. Devī Purāṇam. New Delhi: Sri Lal Bahadur Shastri Kendriya Sanskrit Vidyapeeth.
>
> Actually I do not know if the two eds are based on different mss, but I was unable to find out verse (39.6) that should says:
>
> yajed ... devIM kAmAkhye girikandare (Van Kooij 1972, 32n3---based on Bengali trans.)
>
> although some scholars wrote that in this verse should also be a reference to the son of Bhumi (earth goddess) and cited the Kumar ed. (v. 39.6b)---but in Kumar ed. there is the verse that speak of Kamakhya neither it speak about a "Bhauma".
>
> The second part that I am looking for is a so-called Appendix 1 list 7 (cit. in Dehejia 1986, Yogini Cult and Temples), although in her bibliography it is not cited any DP ms or edition. Thus, I imagine this appendix was somewhere through the Kumar ed. (or maybe not) or perhaps she confused with another text?!
> Dehejia wrote that in this list were enumerated 64 devi-pithas from which depend on the two yogini lists of the Kalikapurana (Chs. 54 and 63, in B. Shastri [1991] 2008).
>
> I wish someone could help in find out the verse and the appendix that I was unable to find out from Kumar ed. of DP.
>
> Best wishes,
> Paolo
>
> --
> Paolo E. Rosati
> Oriental Archaeologist
> PhD candidate in "Civilizations of Asia and Africa"
> South Asia Section
> Dep. Italian Institute of Oriental Studies/ISO
> 'Sapienza' University of Rome
> https://uniroma1.academia.edu/PaoloRosati/
> paoloe.rosati at uniroma1.it
> paoloe.rosati at gmail.com