[INDOLOGY] INDUS CIVILISATION.

Andrea Acri andrea.acri at ephe.sorbonne.fr
Thu Feb 9 10:06:30 UTC 2017

It is worth noting that problems still exist in the classification of Austroasiatic languages, and an increasing number of scholars (like Geoffrey Benjamin) now think that the Munda languages do not form a primary-level subdivision of Austroasiatic separate from Mon-Khmer, and the very term “Mon-Khmer” is currently being replaced by “Austroasiatic”. Sidwell (2013:454) points out that this ‘is an unfolding story that, however it pans out, promises to offer important insights into the origins and nature of cultural diversity in South and Southeast Asia’.

See:
Paul Sidwell, 2013, ‘Issues in Austroasiatic Classification’, Language and Linguistics Compass 7/8 (2013): 437–457.

Paul Sidwell, 2015, ’Chapter 3: Austroasiatic Classification’, in M. Jenny and P. Sidwell (ends), The Handbook of Austroasiatic Languages, Vol. 1.

Best

Andrea Acri
Maître de conférences
Études tantriques/Tantric Studies
École Pratique des Hautes Études (Sciences Religieuses), Paris
andrea.acri at ephe.sorbonne.fr
Publications at: www.ephe.academia.edu/AndreaAcri