[INDOLOGY] Pedantic Indic fonts

Charles Li cchl2 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Dec 31 17:56:29 UTC 2017

Dear all,

For the past while, I've been adding glyphs and features to the Indic
fonts that I use, in order to make better manuscript transcriptions.
I've now put these fonts on GitHub
(https://github.com/chchch/PedanticIndic). There are currently three
fonts: Pedantic Devanāgarī, Pedantic Malayālam, and Pedantic Telugu. For
more information and font samples, see
https://chchch.github.io/PedanticIndic/.

For all three fonts, you can input vowel signs as independent
characters. This is useful for indicating when a vowel sign has been
added or deleted. Some consonant conjunct forms can also be input
independently. See the webpage above for details.

Pedantic Devanāgarī is based on Sanskrit2003 (license unknown), with the
addition of the pṛṣṭhamātrā vowel sign (U+094E), puṣpikā (U+A8F8),
śirorekha (U+A8FB), and the Jaina oṃkāra sign (U+A8FD).

Pedantic Malayālam is based on Rachana (OFL 1.1/GPLv3+), with the
addition of the chillu m (U+0D54) and some conjunct forms.

Pedantic Telugu is based on Pothana2000 (GPLv2+), with the addition of
the valapalagilaka character.

This is very much work-in-progress; feel free to leave comments and
suggestions on the GitHub issues page
(https://github.com/chchch/PedanticIndic/issues) or even to add your own
contributions.

Happy new year,