[INDOLOGY] Vedic notation to indicate syllable lengths?

Clemency Montelle clemency.montelle at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Dec 22 05:48:30 UTC 2017

Dear colleagues,

A collaborator and I are looking to find antecedents for the mathematical practice of using danda-like strokes to indicate fractional parts (1 danda=1/4, 2 dandas = 1/2, 3 dandas = 3/4).

We have found something in the context of representing syllable length in Vedic notation. The only sources we could find concerned a discussion about unicode for "vaidika" symbols, called "vaidika apurnanka pada" (seethe bottom of p. 11 of http://unicode.org/L2/L2007/07396-vaidika.pdf) which appears, it seems, in the context of representing syllable length, to indicate1/4 and 1/2 of a matra kala for a single and double stroke respectively.  (I attach a screen shot from a similar discussion about characters  below).

Does anyone have any further sources we could consult on this?  Was this a widespread notational practise?

Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

With thanks,
Clemency

[cid:9256aea1-2300-4216-85da-cc53aa1a9536]

----
Dr. Clemency Montelle
Associate Professor
School of Mathematics and Statistics
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wananga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800, Christchurch 8140
NEW ZEALAND
http://www.math.canterbury.ac.nz/~c.montelle/

This email may be confidential and subject to legal privilege, it may
not reflect the views of the University of Canterbury, and it is not
guaranteed to be virus free. If you are not an intended recipient,
please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the message
and any attachments.

Please refer to http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/emaildisclaimer for more
information.