[INDOLOGY] Purnam adah...

Aleksandar Uskokov uskokov at uchicago.edu
Thu Dec 14 13:38:20 UTC 2017

Dear Howard,

While I do not have an "explanation of the status," note that the Isa and
Brhad-Aranyaka share much more than the mantra: several of the Isa verses
appear (with some variation) in the 4th book of the Brhad-Aranyaka
(Yajnavalkya's teaching to Janaka, specifically 4.4.8-21). Also, the last
four verses of the Isa that begin with hiranmayena patrena etc. are
Brhad-Aranyaka 5.15.1, thus the concluding portion of book 5. Note also
that both belong to the White Yajurveda and that the Isa is the last
chapter of the Vajasaneyi Samhita (Vajasaneya being a patronymic of
Yajnavalkya).

All best,
Aleksandar