Re: [INDOLOGY] River कायकुटी

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan palaniappa at aol.com
Tue Aug 29 21:27:34 UTC 2017

If the question is really about the river mentioned by a commentator, there is no river in Tamil Nadu called Kāyakuṭī. If one considers the possibility that this name is a translation of some Tamil name, one has to allow for ‘losses in translation’. According to Monier Williams, kāya also means "assemblage , collection , multitude SaddhP.” This seems to be a synonym of saṅgha (perhaps referring to the legendary Tamil assembly in Madurai) or a translation of ‘Ta. Kūṭal’, another name of the city of Madurai.

If it was related to the city called uraga, there was a discussion in Indology earlier such as
http://list.indology.info/pipermail/indology_list.indology.info/1999-March/016494.html <http://list.indology.info/pipermail/indology_list.indology.info/1999-March/016494.html>

I was not able to navigate and get to all the posts from this link. You may want to do a search on ‘uraga’ and look at the posts.

Regards,
Palaniappan