Re: [INDOLOGY] paṅgu / paṅku [2nd sending]

Seishi Karashima skarashima at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 00:41:49 UTC 2017

Dear colleagues,

Both examples have nothing to do with *paṅku*~.

(1) The first example from the *Paumacariu*:

*katthūriya-paṅkuppaṅkiu* < *kastūrikā* (“musk”)+ *paṅka* (“unguent”) + *
*ut-paṅkita* (“besmeared”; cf. Naresh Kumar, *Apabhraṃśa-Hindi Dictionary*,
Nehru Nagar 1987: Indo-Vision Private Limited, vol. I, p. 124r, s.v.
*uppaṅkiya*; cf. also Skt. *paṅkayati* “besmears”).

(2) The second example from the *Sanatkumāracaritam*:

Jacobi’s edition (*Sanatkumāracaritam: Ein Abschnitt aus Haribhadras
Nemināthacaritam. Eine Jaina Legende in Apabhraṃśa*, hrsg. von Hermann
Jacobi, München 1921: Verlag der Bayerischen Akademie der Wissenschaften,
p. 37) in fact reads *sayala-mahivalaya-panku* (i.e. -*paṅku*). Only the
input data on the internet reads "*sayala-mahivalaya-pauku*". One must
discern "edition" made by the great scholar from "data" input by
somebody. *Sayala-mahivalaya-paṅku
*means “mud in the whole world” (“der Schlamm im ganzen Lande”, *ibid.*, p.
76). However, *paṅku* is a *nom. sg. masc. form* of *paṅka *in Apabhraṃśa.

Therefore, both examples quoted here are of *paṅka*: (1) *paṅka + u- *(*>
paṅku-*), (2) nom. sg. masc. *paṅku*.

With best regards,

Seishi Karashima