[INDOLOGY] sex and gender

dermot at grevatt.force9.co.uk dermot at grevatt.force9.co.uk
Wed Aug 16 12:10:37 UTC 2017

Dear Shyam,

Here's a couple of references from the journal Religions of South Asia (RoSA), of which I'm
one of the editors:

Saswati Sengupta and Sharmila Purkayastha: "Of Famines and Females: The Politics of
Laksmi Bratakathas of Bengal"  RoSA 10.2 (2016) pp. 172-192. (gender politics, including
role of religion in oppressing women, and of women in maintaining religion)

Ruth Vanita: "Full of God: Ashtavakra and ideas of justice in Hindu texts" RoSA 3.2 (2009)
pp. 167-181. (involves female-to-female impregnation and other gender-bending
mythological events)

Also;

Alf Hiltebeitel & Kathleen M. Erndl (ed.) Is the goddess a feminist? the politics of South Asian
goddesses. New York University Press, 2000

I may think of more later, but I'm sure others will know these and many more.

Dermot