[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit literature in numbers

Camillo Formigatti camillo.formigatti at bodleian.ox.ac.uk
Mon Apr 24 12:29:49 UTC 2017

Dear Hartmut,

Many thanks for the very swift reply.

I have to confess that I do not understand why you are still replying to my e-mails. I totally agree with all your assessments and I do not see why you seem not to understand it. We all know how difficult it is to work with manuscripts, therefore I expected a more relaxed environment in which to exchange opinions.

As to my article on the history of Sanskrit print, I do not understand what you mean by Shaw-related. I obviously rely on the research of previous scholars, as everybody else does in every field of research. I think this is the spirit of research. I have consulted your catalogue of Sanskrit manuscripts several times and I find it a very useful and good resource.

As to the place and time where and when to have scholarly discussions, you’d be amazed to know that again, I totally agree with you on this one as well. I think that the Indology list is one of the best places to have these type of discussions and this is why I dared to reply to Dagmar Wujastyk’s question.

On the other hand, please forgive me if I felt that we were not having a discussion, but you were trying to convince me that I am wrong about everything. If this is not the case, then I deeply apologize for having misunderstood your intentions. If you are still interested, we can continue our discussion off-line, I’d be more than happy to exchange views with a fellow colleague on the very fascinating issues that you raised.

Best wishes,

Camillo

________________________________

Dr Camillo A. Formigatti