[INDOLOGY] Buddhavacanam

alakendu das mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com
Tue Apr 18 06:54:15 UTC 2017

<

Dr.Sandahl,

           I had been curiously following   the scholastic  deliberations on Buddhabachanam.

Since long, I had an inner  feeling that there  is actually  a  reference where Siddhartha

Gautama Buddha  insisted on using his own language  while propagating his teachings.  Finally

I stumbled upon a reference from Chullavagga( a constituent part of Vinaya Pitaka),in course

of studying a chapter on Pali in a certain book on the History of Sanskrit  Literature. I am

not conversant in Pali, but the qoute in ChullaVagga  has Buddha instructing- ANUJANAMI

VIKHABE SAKAYANIRUTIYA  BUDDHABACHANAM PARIYAPUNITUM'(Ref-Chullavagga 5.33.1) which roughly

translates as - While teaching the views of Buddha , one should use  Buddha's own dialect(

sakaya Nirutya implies own dialect).About Buddha's own dialect, it is well known that  hailing

from Magadha ,BUDDHA spoke Magadhi . There is a further reference ( source unknown)which says-

SO CHA BHAGABA MAGADHO, SA CHA MAGADHE BHABATTYE, SA CHA BHASHA MAGADHI. Inspite  my poor

knowledge in Pali,I can understand the above qoute as- Buddha  was a resident of Magadha and

his own dialect was Magadhi.

                                          ALAKENDU DAS.