[INDOLOGY] Gita meter

George Thompson gthomgt at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 17:07:15 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,

In the  introduction to my Gita translation, I include "A Note on Chapter
11," which argues on the basis of metrical and thematic reasons [similar to
Jan's] that this chapter is an interpolation.  John Brockington has pointed
out that this chapter does not fit well into its context.  He points out
that chapter 12 "seems to pick up immediately from chapter 10" [See his
essay; "The Bhagavadgita: Text and Context" in J.  Lipner's anthology "The
Fruits of our Desiring: An Enquiry into the Ethics of the BhG for Our
Times" (Calgary: Bayeux Arts, 1997].  He cites several scholars who have
argued that the BhG was stitched together by two or more authors.

I hope that this note is useful.

George