[INDOLOGY] Exemplary translations/versions of the Gītagovinda in South Asian Languages

Jesse Knutson jknutson at hawaii.edu
Wed Apr 5 03:29:01 UTC 2017

Dear Friends, Thanks so much for your ongoing valuable input and patience
with my
questioning. I would like to crowdsource once more and ask: are there are
early translations/adaptations into South Asian languages that you admire,
or modern translations into South Asian languages that you find especially
beautiful and/or learned? There are endless modern translations of a very
literal sort, but for example Caitanyadāsa's [16th-century?] translation
into Bangla is an extraordinary literary work and commentary in one. I have
a feeling there are other works out there in languages, which I haven't
learned to read. I will be grateful for any thoughts you have. Best,
भवदीयः,J
--
Jesse Ross Knutson PhD
Assistant Professor of Sanskrit and Bengali, Department of Indo-Pacific