Re: [INDOLOGY] mīmāṃs

alakendu das mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com
Tue Sep 27 10:56:09 UTC 2016

 I regret my  inadvertant digression from the Karma -Jnyana debate.

             However, in this respect, may I kindly  take this opportunity and   make some references to Swami Vivekananda's viewpoint on Karma-Jnyana as enunciated by him .In his book KARMA-YOGA, he writes-''The Karma-Yogi need nOt believe in any doctrine whatsoever ....He has got his own special aim of realising selflessness and he has to work it out himself.Every moment of his life must be realisation because he has to solve by work ,without the help of doctrine or theory, the very same problem  to which the jnani applies his reason and inspiration and the Bhakta his love'( Ref- CW Vol 1 P.309).

                  In fact, Swamiji  evolved a much broader, democratic , flexible concept of Karma Yoga.a little bit in contrast with Shankara, though the ultimate goal for both remained the same. Swamiji innovated a path for the  Adwaitya aspirant who ,even after attaining Satta -Suddhi( i.e purification of mind, as spoken of by Shankara) and Jnyana-Yoga , can still practice Karma-Yoga. Here karma -yoga   is being seen  with an objective intent,and Jnyana-Yoga with a subjective intent.

                     Swamiji's views find immeadiate reflection in Chapt 13 of SmG ,which reads as-By meditation, some behold self in the self ,others by Jnyana-Yoga, and others by Karma-Yoga'

                                    ALAKENDU DAS

INDOLOGY at list.indology.info

indology-owner at list.indology.info (messages to the list's managing committee)

INDOLOGY at list.indology.info

indology-owner at list.indology.info (messages to the list's managing committee)

Nagaraj Paturi Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA. Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education, (Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )

INDOLOGY at list.indology.info