[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit in our times

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 18 16:46:14 UTC 2016

Dear Ananya,

Thank you for all this background.

I would hope that even those who have challenged you on previous occasions agree with a good part of what you write here, and if so that this agreement can become a basis for constructive action of the kind called 'bipartisan' in another political culture.

My modest contribution as a European Indologist, I believe, must continue to come in the form of working hard on all the tasks you mention in your last paragraph, notably in collaboration with Indian scholars — and scholars of other countries in whose history Sanskrit culture has played an important role, and where I have had the privilege to live and work.

Minor point: I was not aware of any report of commission on Sanskrit presided over by S.K. Chatterji. Is a pdf available and can it be shared? I had heard of a reported of an apparently similarly named commission presided over by V. Raghavan in nearly the same year (see http://www.drvraghavancentre.com/publications.html, no. 51) although I have never seen that either. Could it actually be the same report?

Yours, with every good wish,

Arlo Griffiths

École française d'Extrême-Orient