[INDOLOGY] New article on Sanskrit

Nityanand Misra nmisra at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 07:51:32 UTC 2016

I think Dr. Griffiths' misspelling of Dr. Vajpeyi's last name was
influenced by the way I spelt it. Both the spellings ‘Vajpayee’ and
‘Vajpeyi’ are used in English for the last name वाजपेयी in India. The
former being used by Atal Bihari Vajpayee, ex-Prime Minister of India. It
was out of habit that I typed Vajpayee (being more used to this spelling)
instead of Vajpeyi. It was not deliberate, yet I apologize for the lack of
attention on my part.

It is obvious that Dr. Vajpeyi and I have different political leanings, but
that need not come in the way of a healthy discussion. It is unfortunate
that my questioning of Dr. Vajpeyi's claim is seen as offering apologetics
for the current government of India. Claims, political or not, are expected
to be critically examined and/or questioned.

However, I agree with Prof. Kapstein that political debates are best
avoided on this list.

--
Nityānanda Miśra
http://nmisra.googlepages.com