[INDOLOGY] New article on Sanskrit

Ananya Vajpeyi vajpeyi at csds.in
Sat Sep 17 07:55:30 UTC 2016

I would be glad to list for the benefit of those who have been cut off from
daily news of Indian politics for the past two and half years, the
innumerable "facts" of discrimination, beatings, lynchings, rapes, arson
and killings of Muslims, Dalits, Christians, tribals and other vulnerable
groups all over the country. However, I fear it would take us rather far
afield from the principal fact-based issue addressed in this article --
viz., the Modi government's policies with regards to Sanskrit language
education, and the growing misuse of Sanskrit in the BJP-RSS agenda to
saffronize the Indian polity, against the spirit and the letter of the
Constitution.

The "facts" of majoritarianism came up as the context in which to answer
Artur Karp's query, since the "facts" about the role of Sanskrit in
furthering Hindutva ideology have to be understood against this broader
background of the ongoing struggle in India's politics.
To your point, Arlo Griffiths (and I would expect a linguist to take the
trouble to spell my name correctly, if you wanted to address me), it might
be worth debating, in some other forum and on some other occasion, the
relative merits and demerits of covertly illiberal democracy as against
explicitly authoritarian rule. If an "elected" BJP-PDP state government can
feel it within its powers to impose close to 10 weeks of curfew in Jammu
and Kashmir, killing, arresting, detaining and injuring civilians at will,
deploying thousands of additional military and paramilitary forces on top
of the already bellicose and excessive militarization of the Valley,
clearly something is going terribly wrong with Indian democracy in the
hands of the Hindu Right.

I would point you to dozens of news reports, op-eds, analytical articles,
policy documents, legal opinions and so on, that leave no room for doubt
about the alarming encroachment of the state of exception on the rule of
law in India under the current dispensation, democratically elected as it
is, but Indology in my view is not the appropriate space for that
conversation.

Ananya Vajpeyi
Fellow, CSDS
vajpeyi at csds.in