[INDOLOGY] Mind and moon

dermot at grevatt.force9.co.uk dermot at grevatt.force9.co.uk
Sat Sep 3 18:21:16 UTC 2016

Dear Patrick,

I have the article, kindly supplied by a colleague on Indology.

It's not totally conclusive, but it's a good example of Gonda's amazing pre-digital abilty to find
Vedic material, and his occasional forays into comparison with other cultures. It's the most
helpful thing I've found on the subject since I raised the query.

I would add to Dominik's strictures on spontaneous feelings that in this context we should
also avoid ideas about the moon which are part of our body of knowledge but not (as far as
the texts show us) part of that of the ancient rsis: e.g. that the moon's light is reflected, or that
it has an unseen side.

With best wishes,

Dermot