[INDOLOGY] Sexual Harassment

Allen Thrasher alanus1216 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 19 21:03:56 UTC 2016

There was much concern about Eve-teasing both in the national and the local (Poona Herald) English-language press during my first stay in India in 1969 and 1970, and it was never blamed on the young women, so I doubt the use of "Eve" was meant to insinuate they were temptresses and thus to put the responsibility on them.  It was considered a serious matter.  On the other hand the press never mentioned it's going beyond words, unlike the present.  One sometime read of the girls' brothers getting their friends together to physically chastise the offenders.
I am on the road and do not have access to an OED or a history of slang, so cannot check whether "Eve" was used earlier as a colloquialism for "woman" or "girl," but it might be worth a look.
Was the British woman's magazine "Eve" widely distributed in the subcontinent?
Eve might be a model of being a temptress, but she is the mother of us all and therefore also a metonym for womanhood in general, without any disparagement.
It is not particularly surprising that S. Asians should go outside Bharatavarsa for an image of womanhood as such, since they have undergone more than two centuries of intense British and Christian influence - and for that matter more than a millenium of influence from Islam, in which Eve also figures.

Also the figure of the first woman does not play as prominent a role in the Hindu origin stories as Eve in the Abrahamic.

Finally, I read somewhere that one of the earlier American ambassadors to India (I think I read this during my first stay) said that there was no country in the world that he would feel safer for his daughter to travel alone in than India.  It doesn't sound like this is true any more.  Or was he deceived at the time, the 50s or 60s?
Yours,
Allen

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 12:55 AM, patrick mccartney<psdmccartney at gmail.com> wrote:   The term 'eve teasing' apparently was first used in the 1960s. Although I have never been able to find out by whom it was coined. The answer is in part found here: "Eve teasing" is used in India to refer to a wide variety of behaviour including molestation, "flashing" or any verbal/physical sexual street harassment that falls short of rape.
But this from wikipedia sums it up: According to them, considering the semantic roots of the term in Indian English, Eve teasing refers to the temptress nature of Eve, placing responsibility on the woman as a tease.[10]
More importantly, it represents the 'woman as “temptress” who was complicit in her own downfall... [and] is actually a denial that it is sexual violence'.

Also, the term is not found in the Indian Penal Code.
I don't know, but perhaps it has something to do with the perception that 'rape' etc occurs in 'India' and not 'Bhārat' as RSS ideologue Mohan Bhagwat is fond of saying.  And that it is because it is perceived as a cultural import from Abrahamic religions that have 'dominated' and 'enslaved' the region for several centuries. Ultimately, this anti-social behaviour is perceived as a result of 'Western values' and not a local practice. It is considered a colonial byproduct. This helps create a moral panic to stimulate an anti-western agenda. A return to 'core/true' Indian values is considered the answer to this problem. At least in the eyes of the Sangh Parivar.

 Perhaps this is a result of the final stage of Srinivas' Sanskritization theory, i.e. Westernization? Bhagwat further qualified his essentialised remark stating that the 'pure village' is devoid of assaults but the sullied (i.e. Westernised) urban centres are where assaults occur.

All the best,

Patrick McCartney, PhDFellowSchool of Culture, History & Language
College of the Asia-Pacific
The Australian National University
Canberra, Australia, 0200

Skype - psdmccartneyPhone + Whatsapp:  +61 414 954 748Twitter - @psdmccartney