[INDOLOGY] Sexual Harassment

patrick mccartney psdmccartney at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 05:53:53 UTC 2016

The term 'eve teasing' apparently was first used in the 1960s. Although I
have never been able to find out by whom it was coined. The answer is in
part found here <http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16503338>: "Eve teasing"
is used in India to refer to a wide variety of behaviour including
molestation, "flashing" or any verbal/physical sexual street harassment
that falls short of rape.

But this from wikipedia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eve_teasing> sums it
up: According to them, considering the semantic roots of the term in Indian
English <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_English>, Eve teasing refers
to the temptress nature of Eve, placing responsibility on the woman as a
tease.[10] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eve_teasing#cite_note-10>

More importantly, it represents the 'woman as “temptress” who was complicit
in her own downfall... [and] is actually a denial that it is sexual violence
<http://www.dawn.com/news/609882/women-rally-against-eve-teasing-in-south-asia>
'.

Also, the term is not found in the Indian Penal Code.

I don't know, but perhaps it has something to do with the perception that
'rape' etc occurs in 'India' and not 'Bhārat' as RSS ideologue Mohan
Bhagwat
<http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/rapes-occur-in-india-not-bharat-says-rss-chief-mohan-bhagwat-509401>is
fond of saying.  And that it is because it is perceived as a cultural
import from Abrahamic religions
<http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-vhp-defends-attack-on-haryana-church-says-rape-of-nuns-is-christian-culture-2069494>
that have 'dominated' and 'enslaved' the region for several centuries.
Ultimately, this anti-social behaviour is perceived as a result of 'Western
values' and not a local practice. It is considered a colonial byproduct.
This helps create a moral panic to stimulate an anti-western agenda. A
return to 'core/true' Indian values is considered the answer to this
problem. At least in the eyes of the Sangh Parivar.

 Perhaps this is a result of the final stage of Srinivas' Sanskritization
theory, i.e. Westernization? Bhagwat further qualified his essentialised
remark stating that the 'pure village' is devoid of assaults but the
sullied (i.e. Westernised) urban centres
<http://archive.indianexpress.com/news/rapes-occur-in-urban-india-not-rural-bharat-says-bhagwat--bjp-defends-him/1054615/>
are where assaults occur.

All the best,

Patrick McCartney, PhD