[INDOLOGY] Sexual Harassment

Robert Goldman rpg at berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 17 20:16:19 UTC 2016

One may add Indra’s rape of Ahalyā in the VR UK version of the story Crit. ed. 7.30 –33. This is represented as the primordial act of sexual violence which, once committed, would henceforth be common among men. Indra is also cursed in this passage to be captured in battle (by Indrajit) and to lose permanent lordship of the gods.

Also, note that the daughter of Uśanas, raped by Daṇḍa at VR 7.71.15 is named Arajā, not Arā.

Dr. R. P.  Goldman
Catherine and William L. Magistretti Distinguished Professor in South and Southeast Asian Studies
Department of South and Southeast Asian Studies MC # 2540
The University of California at Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-2540
Tel: 510-642-4089
Fax: 510-642-2409