[INDOLOGY] Sexual Harassment

Shyam Ranganathan shyamr at yorku.ca
Mon Oct 17 18:31:09 UTC 2016

Hello all

Well, it's often struck me that many of the stories of Vishnu where
Laksmi or some incarnation of her's is involved have elements of sexual
harassment (or threat of sexual assault) with Vishnu coming to intervene
on her side. The abduction of Sita is certainly one example, but so it
seems to me would be the Varaha avatara. Krishna marrying Rukmani (by
having to abduct her) is an example too. In the Venkateshwara story
where Vishnu is kicked in the chest, Sri takes it as an affront to her
boundaries.

The case of Narakasura seems different as in some presentations it is
Satyabhama who has to release the captured women (though she arrives in
battle with Krishna who faints I hear), but Krishna marries the freed
women as a way of securing their independence. On this point it seemed
to me that whenever Krishna married someone they were basically free to
carry on their life as they choose (in the absence of further threat).
(Rama's marriage to Sita seems almost the opposite.)

It's also struck me that the backdrop story of Vishnu's demon killing
avataras that I grew up hearing--- of the four Kumaras who are barred
from entering Vaikunta and subsequently curse the guards (forcing Vishnu
to participate in their expiation)--- starts the ball rolling by calling
out agism, as (I was told) they were not allowed to enter because they
seemed to young. But what Vishnu has to endure with Sita as Rama is the
absurdity of patriarchy (listening to elders etc.,), which is sexist
too. The Krishna avatara seems to have gotten over that problem: he
generally doesn't listen to authorities as Krishna, or at least he picks
and chooses what authority to endorse, but he also liberally finds his
partner everywhere in many forms (in contrast to Rama).

I'm no philologist, so I cannot cite chapter and verse (all of this
largely from my memory raised in a Sri Vaishnava household), and I'm
sure that the details of these stories will vary according to sources.
But there does seem to be a strong theme in the Vishnu Laksmi stories
about sexual freedom, and the threat posed by misogyny and patriarchy.
Things go best for Laksmi and Vishnu when patriarchy and misogyny have
no pull in their environment. Certainly, this generalizes for us all.

Best wishes,

Shyam

Shyam Ranganathan

Department of Philosophy