[INDOLOGY] Hindi/Marathi transliteration

Tyler Williams tylerwwilliams at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 22:27:44 UTC 2016

Dear Harry,

Yes, although not consistently, in Hindi. The same is true of Hindi texts
in Devanagari-- some editors hyphenate compounds while others do not; some
separate the roots while others leave them graphically joined. In both
cases, this is largely due to confusion about what terms are compounds and
which are not. (A bigger problem for premodern than modern Hindi.)

Best,
TWW