[INDOLOGY] warriors v soldiers

Paolo Eugenio Rosati paoloe.rosati at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 09:02:53 UTC 2016

Dear prof./dear all,

Just before that thousands people sand me protests against the use of
"Tribal"

from the Oxford dictionary (on-line): Tribe = A social division in a
traditional society consisting of families or communities linked by social,
economic, religious, or blood ties, with a common culture and dialect,
typically having a recognized leader.

I do not find nothing negative in the noun "tribe" neither in the adj
"Tribal" that I'm used to write with capital letter as Hindu.
I find more appropriate to speak of Tribal than to use the generic
"local/atochthonous"---that do not imply any cultural or religios
tradition---or the negative NON-describers as
"non-Aryan/non-Sanskrit/non-Hindu/non-literary".The
Tribal groups ARE, and in my opinion is more denigratory describe their
culture as non-SOMETHING. I prefer to be a Tribal than a non-Aryan, I
prefer to have an oral tradition than to have a non-written tradition, and
so on. They are, their culture existed and still exists; and they
influenced so deeply the mainstream Hinduism (and not only the Tantric
phnemoena) that I'm wondering how it is possible to associate the word
"Tribal" with negative connotations.

Going back to the problem.

J.C. Harle [(1963) "Durga Goddess of Victory" *Artibus Asiae 26* (3/4):