[INDOLOGY] crossing oceans?

alakendu das mailmealakendudas at rediffmail.com
Thu Oct 13 16:17:53 UTC 2016

 Dr.Wujastyk,

              Yes, 'Ocean' has often been used in  Ancient Indian texts. The probable reason may be to  relate  the  vastness of our life  ,with its myriad of complexities. to the vastness of an ocean. This  perhaps is relevant, since  the ultimate aim of our life,according to our ancient Indian philosophy ,is to attain  enlightenment  in life,and thereby bypass all mundane problems ,by way of Realisation of our Self ( i.e.Atmana) .

         A quote from Shankaracharya's Vivekchuramani-

    Uddharen Atmanam Atmana Magnau Samsar Baridah .

  Here the word'Samsar Baridah'implies THIS LIFE-OCEAN depicting the various shades, Crest-nadir,the tumultous multititude of our life-cycle

                                                      ALAKENDU DAS