[INDOLOGY] crossing oceans?

Rolf Heinrich Koch rolfheiner.koch at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 13:49:49 UTC 2016

I think the origin of that idea is the ahiṃsā-precept: Conquering water
may kill animals (by accident).

I remember while working on my Ph. D. (Edition of Prakrit-manuscripts):
For a monk it is forbidden to step across water (e. g. during the rainy
season) because he might step into the water and kill small animals.
.../aṇṇayā so sādhū vivarayaṃ uttarai. tattha ya pāda-vikkhaṃbhaṃ
pāṇiyaṃ. teṇa pādo pasārio gai-bhedeṇaṃ. tattha ya devayāe chiddaṃ
labhiūṇaṃ [ūruo] chiṇṇo. so bhaṇai: »micchā-dukkaḍaṃ mā āukkāe paḍio
bhojja«tti. aṇṇāe sammaddiṭṭhiyāe diṭṭhā. sā ghā-ḍiyā. tah’eva sappadeso
laio rūḍho ya devayā-pabhāveṇaṃ/...(āvaśyaka-cūrṇi 514sq.)

This idea is also connected with the buddhist precept for monks not to
travel during the rain season (vassa).

Best

Heiner

Rolf Heinrich Koch