[INDOLOGY] Information sought regarding Telugu "Saccra" (cakra)

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 11 16:00:43 UTC 2016

Dear Jacob,

You should consult this work:

Ślączka, A.A. 2007. Temple Consecration Rituals in Ancient India: Text and Archaeology. Brill’s Indological Library 26. Leiden: Brill.

For amusement, I attach a photo of a somewhat similar stone from East Java at the provincial museum in Sidoarjo: the shape of the akṣaras indicates a date in the 11th c.; no information on archaeological context. This particular stone if of the prastāra type: the alphabet is laid out over the stone. I have been wondering myself what place such a stone would have had in a temple.

Best,

Arlo